Contribute to WoW-Mania with Computer Power

Anything goes here! Have your say, discuss anything from kittens to your favorite ice cream.

Contribute to WoW-Mania with Computer Power

Postby Janitor » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:24 am

We have created a couple of links with CoinHive to allow those that are willing to contribute to the server with a little of his/her computing power.

https://authedmine.com/media/miner.html ... R5aPA7owxw

If you navigate to this URL on your browser and keep it open you will be contributing to WoW-Mania. It will use some of your CPU power to mine us Monero Coins.
The process will immediately end when you close the tab.

We will also be adding it to our Forum pages and remove all other advertising from those pages.

NOTE: This is experimental only and it may turn out to be annoying or non-profitable or simply a bad idea so let's see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your patience and support!
Architect of Disruption since 1995
Janitor
Owner

Re: Contribute to WoW-Mania with Computer Power

Postby Janitor » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:55 am

Apparently, some anti-viruses are identifying it as a virus or adware.
We do not install anything on the viewer's machine and this is only active while the tab is open. As soon as you close the tab the use of the cpu stops.
Janitor
Owner

Postby Dianddra » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm

I feel this is a HORRIBLE decision. everyone I talk to about this agrees and say they will not be voting as long as this is in effect, including me. so sad! now I have to consider moving to another server as this seems a very bad direction to take. my malwarebytes fires off warnings that are scary everytime I come to this site now, and the site eats up 80% of my cpu power!
I hope you decide against doing this in future so I do not have to go elsewhere to play.
Dianddra

Postby dualblader » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:34 pm

I understand that the server needs contribution to provide us with such an amazing server to play on but I think the coin mining is the wrong way to go about it.
I was not even able to go onto to the forum or vote page on my pc because norton kept firing off attack warnings and blocking the website all together. I had to use another machine to get on to the website to check the forum and post this.

Please rethink the decision as it does not help the community whatsoever, having ads on the pages is fine it is less intrusive and won't have the antivirus programs going crazy over visiting pages.
dualblader

Postby stefannel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:58 pm

coinhive scripts have been marked with special red flags by many plugin developers & many software protection companies for various browsers: Adblock, NoScript, Blur, Maleware, Eset etc.

Bare in mind coinhive do not provide any tools to control the way their api uses the computer resources. (limit processor usage, ram usage etc). It uses all of the processing power.

I would advise anyone NOT TO VISIT ANY COINHIVE SCRIPT INJECTED WEBPAGE AND TO BLOCK THAT PAGE.
stefannel

Postby Janitor » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Once again for those overly excited about any threats...
NOTHING is installed in your machine and will only use your CPU if you authorize it. Whoever says differently is severely misinformed (trying to be polite here).
Also, it will immediately stop when you close the tab.

Also for those that know me a bit will remember that I don't respond well to threats or coercion. So if you want to share your opinion and concerns is fine but NEVER come to me saying "either you do this or I will do that!" or I may call you on that just for the fun of it.

For now, I will do the following:
1. Add dialog asking/explaining so you have to click OK to continue.
2. Keep it only on the forum page.

If you prefer you can simply visit the link given above and close it when you are done.
Janitor
Owner

Return to General Chat