Everything Related to Class-Specific Information
Forum rules
Please start your TOPIC as follows:
[CLASS] Topic
ex. [ROGUE] How to master the Combat Spec
KITZUNU

[ROGUE] Eviscerate Combat Rogue

Post by KITZUNU » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Ahoy, I am Kitzunu and I have been playing Combat Rogue for the past 3½ years I have been on WoW-Mania.

To start I want to say that the purpose of this topic is not to say someone's way of playing a rogue is wrong, the sole purpose is for me to share my experience and knowledge of the class and spec that I have gathered over these years. I want to teach new rogues, or maybe even sold older ones, my way to this class. This guide might even bring more people to interest in the class, at least I hope so :D

I am happy to answer any questions that might arise, but please read the entire guide before asking something, maybe your question is already answered :)

Fair warning: This guide will only contain the end-game "Eviscerate" build based on a Human character. So do not come here if you want a leveling/low gear/Rupture build. Thanks
Disclaimer: This guide sucks :P

Table of Content

1. Why Rogue?
2. Stats
3. Talents, Glyphs, and Poisons
4. Gear
5. Useful Macros
6. Rotation
7. Consumables
8. Professions

1. Why Rogue?
Spoiler:
If someone were to ask me the question straight up, I would just answer because it is fun. Simple as that.
But to make this guide interesting, I do play rogue because it is fun, interesting, challenging and just awesome.

Rogue is a very flexible class, especially combat, you can do great in single mob dmg, you can do great in AoE dmg and you have a lot of spells to prevent you from dying in sticky situations. Including several ways to reduce your threat levels and dodge abilities.

To success as a rogue in a raiding environment, you have to follow a few steps:
1. Stay awake and aware!
2. Don't die xd
3. Don't make your raid team die!
4. Listen to your team and especially your leaders.
5. Always have SnD up.
6. Use your cooldowns...
7. Use a quick Off Hand and a slow Main Hand.
8. Being dead = No DPS = no fun!
9. Don't be a ninja but if you have to, be very sneaky. I don't want the class to get shit for what you are doing xd (For rules purposes that were a joke, I do not encourage any form of ninjas!

Oh, and they are 100x better than paladins ;)
2. Stats
Spoiler:
Now, I am very lazy so do not judge!

Armor Penetration (ARP) 1400 (100%)
Expertise (EXP) 21/21

ARP -> Hit Rating -> Agil/Haste

Really you can choose yourself what you want to go after the ARP is maxed out, you will get a lot of stats just from gear as well so it is really up to you how you want to play it.

Just make sure if you are going Agility, that you are not exceeding your crit cap!
I am no expert in crits, so you'd have to google and calculate that yourself, but I would suggest focusing Hit Rating after your ARP is maxed.

Any individual caps or what you should aim for I have no idea. Literally, I just wing it xd
3. Talents, Glyphs, and Poisons
Spoiler:
Talents
Spoiler:
Talents are very discussed, and many times look different from one rogue to another. But generally, you will always see a 20/51/0 formation.

This is what I use, and what I have found to be most effective the way I play.

I will be kind and tell you that you can change Hack and Slash to either Close Quarters Combat or Mace Specialization depending on what weapons you have, but end-game top tier will always be axes. So in an end-game build, you should always go with Hack and Slash.

Anything not having a talent in it (besides those mentioned above) is classed as garbage for the Eviscerate build.
Glyphs
Spoiler:
Glyphs is probably the most straight forward thing when it comes to combat rogue, there are 3 good glyphs and there is a mountain full of garbage glyphs. (Sure you could change them depending on different fights, but really, who is even willing to do that? xd)

Major Glyphs:
Glyph of Sinister Strike - Maybe the most essential Glyph of them all, not going to lie, this is a huge boost to get an additional combo point.

Glyph of Eviscerate - Just increased crit chance with the ability. Who doesn't like big numbers?

Glyph of Killing Spree - This is major since Killing Spree is one of your main cooldowns, a 45s cooldown reduction will increase DPS a lot, and we all know that is what you are out for.

Minor Glyphs:

Really no minor glyph is necessary, use whatever you feel looks fun, or use no at all.
(However, Minor Glyph of Safe Fall might be kind on the healers if you like to fly high just to fall onto the ground :D)
Poisions
Spoiler:
Not a lot of variations, for the most part, you want to use:

Main Hand - Instant Poison IX
Off Hand - Deadly Poison IX

The only time you will change out the OH poison is if you are on the Lich King fight and you have no hunters, or if they are just unable to play the class...

If so you want to use Anesthetic Poison II on your OH.
4. Gear
Spoiler:
Gear... I am determined on the 2-Piece Set, which basically means, I am using 2 T10 set pieces.

Head
Tier 10 - Emblems of Frost + Heroic Sanctified Mark

Neck
Sindragosa's Cruel Claw - Sindragosa

Shoulders
Tier 10 - Emblems of Frost + Heroic Sanctified Mark

Back
Vereesa's Dexterity - ToGC Tribute Run

Chest
Ikfirus's Sack of Wonder - Loot Ship

Wrists
Toskk's Maximized Wristguards - Deathbringer Saurfang

Hands
Aldriana's Gloves of Secrecy - Rotface

Waist
Astrylian's Sutured Cinch - Professor Putricide

Legs
Gangrenous Leggings - Festergut

Boots
Frostbitten Fur Boots - Marrowgar

Ring #1
Frostbrood Sapphire Ring - Valithria Dreamwalker

Ring #2
Ashen Band of Endless Vengeance - Reputation

Trinket #1
Sharpened Twilight Scale - Halion

Trinket #2
Deathbringer's Will - Deathbringer Saurfang

Main Hand
Havoc's Call - Lich King

Off Hand
Scourgeborne Waraxe - Loot Ship

Ranged
Fal'inrush - Lich King

All Gears being 25hc of course.

(I might add links to them later...)

If you are not able to get these you should try to get gear with similar stats.
I can suggest that the Maniacs Hacker of Bestial Wrath (Donation item) is a very good lesser bis option to Havoc's Call.
Gemming & Enchanting
Spoiler:
Tbh, just gem for ARP until you are 100% and then go for whatever stat you wish. (Agil prio)

Enchanting

Head
Arcanum of Torment
Shoulder
Greater Inscription of the Axe (Sons of the Hodir)
Cloak
Scroll of Enchant Cloak - Major Agility
Chest
Scroll of Enchant - Powerful Stats
Wrist
Scroll of Enchant - Greater Assult
Hands
Hyperspeed Accelerators
alt: Scroll of Enchant Gloves - Major Agility
Waist
Eternal Belt Buckle
Legs
Icescale Leg Armor
Boots
Nitro Boosts
alt: Scroll of Enchant Boots - Icewalker/Superior Agility
Main Hand
Berserking
Off Hand
Berserking
5. Useful Macros
Spoiler:
Eviscerate

Code: Select all

#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Eviscerate(Rank 12)
Slice and Dice

#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Slice and Dice
Kick

#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Kick
ToT Focus

#showtooltip
/cast [@Focus] Tricks of the Trade
ToT Mouseover

#showtooltip
/cast [help,exists] [target=mouseover,help,exists] [target=player] Tricks of the Trade
6. Rotation
Spoiler:
Sinister Strike -> Sinister Strike -> Slice and Dice -> Blade Flurry -> Killing Spree -> Adrenaline Rush -> Sinister Strike x3/4 -> Finisher

So important to note is that you only want to use your Sinister Strike until you have 4 combo points because when you crit you get an extra. So if you use Sinister Strike at 4 and crit you would get 6/5 which is impossible and equals to waste of time and dps.
You also want to have Slice and Dice ALWAYS up, never let it go to 0. When you don't need to use S&D you finish with Evicirate.
Use your Engineering hands whenever you feel like it.

Your burst is your main dps outcome and popping a Potion of Speed before the Killing Spree will result in a major DPS boost.

You should ALWAYS remember to use your Tricks of the Trade because it is FREE 15 energy! Mostly use it on tanks, but if you got good tanks with good threat control you can use it on another DPS for the dps boost.

CLOAK OF SHADOWS! is an amazingly broken spell. This defensive spell is something you don't want to throw into the bin.
For example: On BQ encounter you can avoid the Purple Flames by removing them with cloak when your screen turns purple for the maximum uptime on the fight.
You can also dodge the damage BQ does when she is up in the air with this ability.
On Sindragosa you're able to clear your melee stacks with cloak, so you can burst up to 6-7 stacks, use cloak and continue to dps.
7. Consumables
Spoiler:
Flask of Endless Rage is your go-to flask.
Potion of Speed is your go-to pot.

For food I would recommend either Blackened Dragonfin, Spiced Worm Burger, Very Burnt Worg or Worg Tartare depending on which stats you need the most.
Making your own food is much better than the Fish Feast.
8. Professions
Spoiler:
I think Engineering is a key profession for those Haste Hands and Nitro Boots.
They make mechanics so much easier, especially on Lich King.

Second profession you can go whatever you want really, I like Jewelcrafting since you get the 3 Dragon Gems for extra stats, but you can also go Skinning for the Agility boost.
I am well aware that this guide was SHIT! so I am more than happy if you would like to give me some tips on how to improve.
Also this guide was just for Eviscerate build since I don't know how to play any of the other ones.

Developer Kitzunu

Banned for no reason :shrug: