Game crash due to memory allocation failure: a solution

Anything goes here! Have your say, discuss anything from kittens to your favorite ice cream.
MAXIMILIEN

Game crash due to memory allocation failure: a solution

Post by MAXIMILIEN » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:28 am

Hello all,

For years my game crashed, mostly in Dalaran. It was anoying, but I could live with that.
But recently it became really annoying, happening more and more often, and not only in Dalaran.
The error was still the same: could not allocate the requested amount of memory (with a large amount requested).
So I started to search the web for a solution and I found one: LargeAddressAware. It's a small program that sets a flag on your executable (WoW.exe) so it is allowed to allocate memory above the 32bits system limit.
You can download it there https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... re.112556/
I've flagged my WoW.exe two weeks ago and no more crash. It's a life changer, and I wanted to share this with you if you ever happen to have such crashes.

Happy gaming!

kuurtjes

Re: Game crash due to memory allocation failure: a solution

Post by kuurtjes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am

Interesting. The source is available so in theory this could eventually be incorporated into the launcher.

I don't have any problems but thanks for sharing.

JONALL2010

Post by JONALL2010 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:11 pm

No it doesn't work, I have tried it with the new 2.60c and it will not launch calling the file corrupted once I turned it off it would launch. So sad because I didn't have this problem till 2.6 was downloaded

ryosaeba

Post by ryosaeba » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 am

JONALL2010 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:11 pm
No it doesn't work, I have tried it with the new 2.60c and it will not launch calling the file corrupted once I turned it off it would launch. So sad because I didn't have this problem till 2.6 was downloaded
It works, but you need to start the game from Wow-mania.exe instead of Launcher.exe, the Launcher won't recognize the Wow-mania.exe once you flagged it, that's why it says it says it's corrupted.

kuurtjes

Post by kuurtjes » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Posted about on Github: https://github.com/WoWManiaUK/Redemption/issues/4295

I tested it for a bit and I had less issues even with the 2.6.0 executable.

JONALL2010

Post by JONALL2010 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:20 pm

just to verify, I should only flag the "WoW-Mania.exe" and the start game from the same flagged exe. I did the launcher let me re do it and thanks for responding :)

DUALCORESEB

Post by DUALCORESEB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:53 pm

I had this problem but I used Large Address Aware and just added the launcher and the game file. No issues as of lately!

cobybrian

Post by cobybrian » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:16 am

I'm glad you found a solution to your game crashing issue! Memory allocation errors can be frustrating, and it's great that LargeAddressAware resolved the problem for you. It's always helpful when gamers share solutions to common issues. Speaking of gaming, have you had a chance to explore Baldur's Gate 3 companions? The game has gained popularity for its engaging characters and dynamic storytelling. If you're into immersive RPG experiences, checking out the diverse personalities of Baldur's Gate 3 companions might be worth your while!
emulatorpc.com/survival-city-builder/

betterwound

Post by betterwound » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:02 am

I experienced same difficulty, but I utilized Large Address Aware and simply uploaded the launcher and game file.

dordle