Retribution Paladin Full PvE Guide

Discuss the different classes and their abilities in here!
Death Knight, Druid, Hunter, Mage, Monk, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock, Warrior and Demon Hunter

Retribution Paladin Full PvE Guide

Postby KaiLao » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:18 am

Welcome to the retribution paladin guide, below you will find a "Best in Slot" list, optimal talent build and general rotation of your abilities in a PvE raiding environment.

Below will be a "Best in Slot" list for Retribution Paladins, I will add more BiS for things like none heroic and maybe something like a list without Shadowmourne as it does take a while to obtain. If this is something the community is interested in i will post some more in the near future.

BiS List 3.3.5 /w Ruby Sanctum Gear:
Head: Sanctified Lightsworn Helmet: Gem - Relentless Earthsiege Diamond. Enchant - Arcanum of Torment

Neck: Sindragosa's Cruel Claw

Shoulders: Sanctified Lightsworn Shoulderplates: Enchant - Greater Inscription of the Axe

Back: Shadowvault Slayer's Cloak: Enchant - Enchant Cloak - Major Agility

Chest: Sanctified Lightsworn Battleplate: Enchant - Enchant Chest - Powerful Stats

Wrist: Polar Bear Claw Bracers: Enchant - Enchant Bracers - Greater Assault

Hands: Fleshrending Gauntlets: Enchant - Enchant Gloves - Crusher

Waist: Astrylian's Sutured Cinch

Legs: Sanctified Lightsworn Legplates: Enchant - Icescale Leg Armor

Feet: Frostbitten Fur Boots / Apocalypse's Advance: Enchant - Enchant Boots - Greater Assault

Finger: Band of the Bone Colossus

Finger: Ashen Band of Endless Vengeance

Trinket: Death's Choice

Trinket: Tiny Abomination in a Jar

Main Hand: Oathbinder, Charge of the Ranger-General or Shadowmourne: Enchant - Enchant Weapon - Berserking

Ranged: Libram of Three Truths

So basically all your yellow gems should be str/crit or str/hit if you're not hit capped. Remember always have a nightmare tear to activate your meta gem in the head slot item.

Small things to note:
Hit Cap - 264 (8%), anything more is a waste

Expertise - 26 is the soft cap and no more is really needed.

Remember that when gearing you need to keep that hit cap at 8% whilst also keeping your expertise as close to 26 as you can. If you don't your DPS will be absolute poop.

Agility IS good on plate wearers as it gives you crit and ap and is not to be shrugged off as a pointless stat.

General Ret Talent Tree:

Glyphs:

*Major - Glyph of Judgement (Mandatory), Glyph of Seal of Vengeance, Glyph of Consecration, Glyph of Exorcism, Glyph of Seal of Righteousness

*Minor - Glyph of Lay on Hands, Glyph of Sense Undead, Glyph of Blessing of Kings / Glyph of Blessing of Might the 3rd is entirely up to you.

Rotation:
So first we'll talk about seals and what they actually do and when you should use certain seals. Normally you would use Seal of Corruption / Seal of Vengeance which would be your primary damage source on single target fights so particularly useful on boss fights. If your gear is somewhat poop and you are gearing up then Seal of Righteousness would be your best bet single target. If you've taken Seal of Command then use it however i am unsure if it works as intended on the server as i have yet to properly test it.

Actual button mashing - With Paladin the general rule is smash any ability when it's off CD however like all classes you will have priority spells over others.

Spell Priority List IF YOU DON'T HAVE 2 OR MORE T10 GEAR:
Judgement of Light*
Hammer of Wrath**
Divine Storm
Crusader Strike
Consecration
Exorcism

Spell Priority List IF YOU DO HAVE 2SET:
Judgement of Light*
Divine Storm
Hammer of Wrath**
Crusader Strike
Consecration
Exorcism

2 Set Bonus - (2) Set: Your melee attacks have a 40% chance to reset the cooldown on your Divine Storm ability.

Spell Priority List IF YOU HAVE 4 SET OR MORE:
Judgement of Light*
Divine Storm
Crusader Strike
Hammer of Wrath**
Consecration
Exorcism

CD's & Other useful spells:
Holy Wrath - Useful for additional DPS and some helpful crowd control for the tanks on undead and demon mobs. Also is additional DPS against bosses when everything else is on cooldown, but does not stun bosses.

Divine Plea - If you find yourself running oom this should be used.

Lay on Hands - Lifesaver, just make sure you use it on a tank/healer could potentially stop raid wipes.

Sacred Shield - Usually use it on yourself with alt+SS to mitigate any AoE damage.

Divine Shield - Use to either not die or to soak mass damage.

Divine Protection - Same as Divine Shield really but for physical damage.

Hand of Freedom - Use on anyone who needs to move including yourself but is slowed. It removes all slows, roots etc.

Hand of Protection - Use on ranged casters who pull agro usually those huntards or mages.

Hand of Salvation - Use on high dps player to lower threat. Should be fine though in most cases.

Hand of Sacrifice - Use on tanks or healers at your own risk as damage they take is also transferred to you. Sac and bubble are always a beautiful combo as you can't take damage but the damage is still mitigated.
KaiLao

Re: Retribution Paladin Full PvE Guide

Postby JuNNeZ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:44 pm

Great guide, I approve!
JuNNeZ
Site Admin

Postby Xerjol » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Ayyy!

In all honesty, i sincerely do hope no one uses this guide. The guide itself is wrong in so many ways that i can't even believe it.

First of all: I don't think you should be making a guide if you can't even set the correct talents.
Second: The so-called BiS list needs work, a lot! (Have you been talking to Djor? Hue!)
Third: I had a real kick out of "If your gear is somewhat poop and you are gearing up then Seal of Righteousness would be your best bet single target."
Fourth: Guide contains poor gemming and profession section!
Fifth: There is a "small" mistake in the "4set or more" rotation.

P.S.
There are some other things than caught my eye but I believe I've commented enough about the guide. (In all honesty, I just can't count past 5).

<3 - Seraxe!
Seraxe <3
Xerjol

Postby JuNNeZ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Seraxe/Xerjol, could you make a proper guide maybe based on this one? All guides are appreciated and would be awesome to see more of.
JuNNeZ
Site Admin

Postby KaiLao » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Xerjol wrote:Ayyy!

In all honesty, i sincerely do hope no one uses this guide. The guide itself is wrong in so many ways that i can't even believe it.

First of all: I don't think you should be making a guide if you can't even set the correct talents.
Second: The so-called BiS list needs work, a lot! (Have you been talking to Djor? Hue!)
Third: I had a real kick out of "If your gear is somewhat poop and you are gearing up then Seal of Righteousness would be your best bet single target."
Fourth: Guide contains poor gemming and profession section!
Fifth: There is a "small" mistake in the "4set or more" rotation.

P.S.
There are some other things than caught my eye but I believe I've commented enough about the guide. (In all honesty, I just can't count past 5).

<3 - Seraxe!

You're playing Ret paladin either wrong or completely different :)
KaiLao

Return to Class Discussions