General Support

Wow-mania.exe being flagged as ransomware

Need support regarding: Connecting issues, launcher issues, website issues or client bugs? Make a thread in here and our staff will be with you shortly.
Forum rules
NOT FOR IN-GAME SUPPORT.

Wow-mania.exe being flagged as ransomware

Postby kattmiller » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:49 pm

This just happened today I was logged in and playing fine when I went to log out and switch to another character the client closed. I thought it was just a normal crash so I tried to open it again and it said I didn't have permission to open and it wanted to delete the shortcut. I ran malwarebytes to see if there was something wrong and it had quarantined the wow-mania.exe as being ransomware. I'm in the process of rebooting to restore the program but I have no idea if this problem will continue or if its a known issue and I need to do something else.
kattmiller

Re: Wow-mania.exe being flagged as ransomware

Postby Janitor » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:43 pm

First of all we have no file called wow-mania.exe.
The only 2 executable files you will find in our download are: wow.exe and launcher.exe
We have no malware or anything shady in our software.
Download your client directly from our website.
Architect of Disruption since 1995
Janitor
Owner

Postby kattmiller » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:21 am

I did download from the wow-mania site, I meant the wow.exe that is included in the wow-mania folder.
Malwarebytes was the program that flagged it, I think it may have in part been caused by Large Address Aware which I use on the wow.exe to fix crashing issues ive had in the past. After restoring the file and making the whole folder an exemption I have no issues with it.

Again, not sure what caused it.
kattmiller

Postby Anthonhed » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:27 pm

try downloading wow-mania's custom launcher do be able to use their custom fetures aswell http://wow-mania.com/downaloads
Anthonhed

Postby kattmiller » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:45 pm

I have always used the custom launcher.
kattmiller

Postby Kaisee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:56 am

I can confirm that the exact same issue happened to me. The program shut down and I was booted to the desktop. Malwarebytes flagged the wow-exe file as ransomware and quarantined the file. However, when I opened Malwarebytes I could not find that file in the listing of quarantined files.

I tried relaunching the game through my desktop shortcut to the launcher and it would not work. Neither would clicking directly on the launcher program. I restarted my computer and was then able to use the desktop shortcut and play the game as usual.

Have no idea what happened.

I downloaded the client from wow-mania and I always use the launcher. Very strange.
Kaisee

Postby kattmiller » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:57 am

Glad its not just me. I wonder if Malwarebytes had an update recently that could be causing it, seeing as how I have changed nothing with my wow-mania folder.
kattmiller

Postby JuNNeZ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Just add the folder to the exclusions, there is no malware or ransomware in any of our products.
JuNNeZ
Site Admin

Postby Kaisee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Please know that I was not making any accusations regarding your products. I was simply trying to make you aware of an issue I had.

No offense was intended and I hope none was taken.

I love the game and your server. I think your entire team does a wonderful job. I am very happy here.
Kaisee

Postby JuNNeZ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:15 am

Kaisee wrote:Please know that I was not making any accusations regarding your products. I was simply trying to make you aware of an issue I had.

No offense was intended and I hope none was taken.

I love the game and your server. I think your entire team does a wonderful job. I am very happy here.

I understood your point, I just wanted to make it clear. :)
JuNNeZ
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support