New Client 2.1.0 - To be released this Tuesday.

Anything goes here! Have your say, discuss anything from kittens to your favorite ice cream.

Re: New Client 2.1.0 - To be released this Tuesday.

Postby Njord » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 am

Yeah same here. Downloaded the patch via launcher, displays 2.1.0 at lower left corner.

Cant find the vendor for the new mounts and pets, nothing seems diefferent.
Njord

Postby Lightmare » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:56 am

Did you remember the usual things? Running the launcher as administrator? Make sure the entire folder with wow is not read-only?

I'd hate to be "that guy" but it worked fine for me the first try. I used "Run as administrator" for the launcher. It downloaded the updates and I was good-to-go. Played a few minutes. Logged out. After reading this, I executed the launcher again (without administrator this time) and I was able to login again after it checked if there was any update.

It did sit on the launcher saying "Downloading" above "Checking for patch updates" but it doesn't actually download anything. It just appears to be checking if the client is updated. Once that finishes, "Play" is enabled and I can log in.
Lightmare

Postby Njord » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Lightmare>> Yup, tried all that you listed =/

Where is the vendor for the new mounts and pets? Is the the same PvE and Mount vendor in the mall?
Or are they bought here in the shop on the website somewhere that I\ve missed?
Njord

Postby Thrombor2017 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Lightmare wrote:Did you remember the usual things? Running the launcher as administrator? Make sure the entire folder with wow is not read-only?

Yeah i always run as administrator, but I am not able to make the game folder "no read-only", I mean, i can uncheck the read-only option but when i open the game folder again it is automatically checked :( so you think that may be the problem ?
Thrombor2017

Postby Lightmare » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:54 pm

I know that I was not able to upgrade last time 2.1.0 was released until I cleared the read-only. It acted like it upgraded but didn't. It was visible in the client though with the prior release number.

Make sure you are changing the outer most folder for the wow folder. Example: c:\wowmania
Right-click on the folder. "Properties". Read-only will probably appear as a darkened box indicating something inside is flagged as read-only but not everything. Uncheck it. click Apply and it should ask if you want apply this to all subfolders and files. That should be default, but if not, select it. Click ok.

Once it finishes, then run the launcher as administrator. Let it update.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, I believe the next option would be to download the complete client again. Just like the good old days of retail! I believe someone else posted about manually deleting some of the update files. You could find that post and give a try as well.

Edit: After updating, the patch files are probably the ones flagged as read-only so the folder will indicate something is again read-only. Probably not your overall issue if you've done the rest first.
Lightmare

Postby Fleetstreet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Lightmare wrote:Make sure you are changing the outer most folder for the wow folder. Example: c:\wowmania
Right-click on the folder. "Properties". Read-only will probably appear as a darkened box indicating something inside is flagged as read-only but not everything. Uncheck it. click Apply and it should ask if you want apply this to all subfolders and files. That should be default, but if not, select it. Click ok.

Can confirm this pre-patch launcher setup works and is required, also helps to set the default launcher advanced settings to always run as admin (right-click launcher>properties>advanced>check off run as admin, for those that don't know). This way the launcher will default to detecting a new patch, if available, every time the launcher is started.

Cheers Janitor, to new stuff and (fingers crossed) superior stability.
Fleetstreet

Postby SiGeBa » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm

I also have trouble, ran the launcher as admin and it downloaded the path (confirmed 2.1.0 in the corner). Logged into a char with no problem then logged out for another char and crashed wit this error.

https://imgur.com/a/x4X51

Ran the launcher again and it's re-downloading the patch.
SiGeBa

Postby Fleetstreet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:54 pm

Treat all software like a Windows update: install updates, restart computer (or in this case, launcher program), install updates, repeat until there are no more updates.
Fleetstreet

Postby Janitor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Make sure you start Launcher as admin.

If the Launcher does not have the correct access rights it will not be able to save what it downloads.
If you are not sure how to check or do this just delete patches A to E in the Data\enGB folder manually and restart the Launcher.
Architect of Disruption since 1995
Janitor
Owner

Postby Goldstinger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 pm

A lot of people are complaining about some graphical errors after they've updated and logged in, that persist after deleting cache/removing patch files and allowing the launcher to reinstall them with read-only turned off and with administration privileges.

I was having this same issue as well, but think I found a temp fix for it.

Download the ZIP file for patch data for 2.1.0 in the downloads & support section of the website (enGB client only), and manually overwrite them with your previous launcher/exe/patches. Proceed to not run the launcher, and just start the WoW.exe right away. Did the trick for me, after the graphical issue was being pervasive across re-installs.
Goldstinger

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat